Steph and I dressed as Reese and Pete respectively for Manifest and we won a prize for best group cosplay, which felt amazing! We worked very hard on our cosplays and for about 90% of the time we had absolutely no idea what we were doing. Under the cut are some progress shots we took, so if you’d like to see how the costumes were constructed, take a look!
It’s not really a tutorial, just kinda me reminiscing on how much fun it was doing this with a friend :) If you’d like any advice, please send me an ask!
If you just want a photo of the cosplay to reblog, here’s one I prepared earlier.
woooo, starting! We didn’t have any wire left so Steph had to bend a coathanger in the shape of her head. Now, wire isn’t very comfortable, so we glued foam to the inside of the wire. Above is Steph gluing hers, below is me wearing mine:
Ta-daaaaah! A very attractive look, you are now ready to hit the town
So basically we glued some more foam on to make sure it fit comfortably, then we had to think of a way to extend the frame so that the bottom of the mascot mask would have support. So our next best friend came in handy: wooden skewers! We glued down the skewers as shown, then used that basic set up to put on more foam to hold the shape.
Ok next! We cut skewers to an approximate size that we believed our masks should be from our head, then hot glued them into place on the foam and wire as shown here. This was probably one of the most difficult and time consuming parts. Holding each skewer in place while the glue dried was tedious, and the worst part was that we couldn’t visualise AT ALL the way we wanted it to look. So basically getting it right the first time was the biggest fluke. Also as you can see here, I cut out the shape I wanted my wings to be in some 1/2 inch thick foam :)
hard at work, yo
Next, I stuck bits of plastic onto my skewers as shown above. This was to give more structure and strength to the frame so that I could begin shaping it as I needed. It’s at this point where I decided to stop making a Pete the pelican costume and start making a replica of Captain Olimar’s S.S. Dolphin I could wear around on my head.
Oh and here’s Steph’s version as well :)
After that, I hot glued down some cross-stitching material to the plastic I used earlier to create the shape I wanted, leaving spaces for where I needed to be able to see! The cross-stitch fabric (this was called Aida) was great because it was sturdy but flexible enough to hold a circular shape.
Next I cut my white fabric and sewed it to the frame. This took me a very long time to work out, because I’m very picky with the way I wanted it to look. I didn’t want any seams to be seen! I wanted it to fit perfectly. It took me at least an hour before I figured out how I wanted to cut the fabric, then another 4+ hours actually pinning it and sewing it into place. I also carved some thick foam to the shape of Pete’s bill c:
From here I don’t have as many progress shots, because it was the head that was most difficult to figure out and took the longest.
Here are my wings! What I did was cut 4 identical pieces of foam. They turned out smaller than I wanted, but I didn’t have enough left over foam to make more, nor did I have enough patience to go and buy some. So yeah, 2 pieces for each arm so I could slip my arm between the two, which would hold the shape of the wing when it had fabric over it. then measured out the fabric and sewed it all together so it was like a slip, and I just slipped in the foam and voila! All I then had to do was put my arm inside :)
Finally, the feet! It took a while before I had any idea of how I wanted to do this, and there were several choices I had. I went with cutting a huge block of foam up and carving out space for the shoe, which I glued to the bottom of the foam. I had cut out the foot shape I wanted with 1/2 inch foam. I traced that onto orange fabric and sewed together the legs. Then I glued that piece of foam onto the shoe and put that whole shoe piece into the orange pants and yay, Pete’s legs! I also glued plastic to the bottom of the shoes so that when I walked around all day I wouldn’t have to worry about holes in the bottom of my feet, ruining fabric, or wet weather.
So yeah! A lot of work! These aren’t even half of the progress shots either, but I’ve rambled enough! Let me know if you have any questions, I’d love to help out anyone who has never done this before and save them from some of the dilemmas I had!